First of all, we wish to express our warmest welcome to all new staff and students joining HKU!
Information Technology is an important enabling platform supporting the teaching, learning, research and administrative activities of the University. We are providing a comprehensive range of IT services for every staff and students around-the-clock. These include 1) HKU Portal; 2) network services; 3) Learning Management System (LMS) Moodle; 4) Learning Capture System (LCS) Panapto; 5) research computing support; 6) learning space and learning commons; 7) communal PCs; 8) printing service; and 9) training courses.
You can click on the above respective links to understand more about them.
ITS keeps on improving our services and facilities striving to offer the best working experience for users.
Mobile Applications – ITS has developed a number of mobile apps in the past months to facilitate staff and students in getting the University information and services in a more convenient and handy way. These apps are available for download on both Android and iOS devices.
o HKU App – the app has been revamped in mid-2017 offering a new look and feel, improved response and additional new features.
This is the app developed to improve communication among students, staff, visitors and the University. It facilitates mobile access to the latest campus information such as timetable, HKU events, food, shuttle bus information wherever you are.
o HKU eNotices App – the app provides a channel for staff and students to read eNotices posted by HKU departmental notices on mobile devices, on top of the desktop version available under HKU Portal and the daily email digest sent to all staff and students.
o Shuttle Bus App – an app containing all useful information related to HKU shuttle bus service, such as route information, estimated journey time, and bus stop location. Traffic news will be released when the service has been or is expected to be seriously delayed or suspended. Operation time of bus service right before/after typhoon will also be available.
o Tutorial Sign-up App – a mobile app for students to select the tutorial session online.
2FA Protection for HKU Portal – For added security protection in authenticating access to the University’s network service and personal data, apart from HKUVPN (HKU Virtual Private Network) service, 2FA protection has been extended to certain functions that contain personal information under HKU Portal when access is made by staff outside campus network.
ITS User Survey 2017 – As a continual effort to improve our service provision, another round of User Survey has been conducted between December 2016 and February 2017. Valuable feedback was received which helps us to identify areas for improvement. A total of 11 major service categories that ITS is supporting were surveyed. The mean scores attained under the “Most Important” category ranges from 3.15 to 4.58 and that under “Most Satisfied” category ranges from 3.26 to 4.16.
- HKU IT Services under YouTube – a YouTube channel is set up for HKU IT Services. Users can find the videos prepared such as “Use of AV IT Facilities in Central Classrooms”, “Information for new staff or students”, “How to use Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus (for Windows)”, etc.
University members can visit the following webpages for getting the latest information about us:
- ITS website (http://www.its.hku.hk)
- ITS FAQ website (http://www.its.hku.hk/faq)
- Bi-monthly newsletter (http://www.its.hku.hk/its-news) about our latest development
In case advice and assistance in using the central IT services are required, please feel free to contact us via any of the following channels during the office hours:
- In person at 1/F, Library Building (Old Wing), Main Campus
- Phone at 3917 0123
- Email at email@example.com
- Live chat
- Self-reporting system
M C Pong
Learning and User Services
Tel: 3917 6232
1. HKU Portal (https://hkuportal.hku.hk) is a single sign-on platform for University members to access the majority of the central IT services. Different services can be accessed via the respective tabs-
· My Page – a menu of the Student Information System (SIS) for student-related information, the Human Capital Management System (HCMS) for staff information and other self-service functions by many departments.
· MyEmail - the HKU central email account (students: UID@connect.hku.hk ; staff: UID@hku.hk). The students email service (called HKU Connect) is running on the Google Mail platform. The staff email service is based on the University-operated Microsoft Exchange server (called HKUCC1 or HKUCC-COM).
· My eLearning – a hub of eLearning related information, especially e-courses supported by the University’s Learning Management System “Moodle”.
· MyLibrary – the services provided by the Libraries through the MyLibrary system.
· Events - University members can view events organized by University departments through the HKU Event Management System and register to attend any of these events.
· MyFaculty or MyDepartment – Students can view the information provided by their Faculties whereas staff can view the information provided by their Departments.
A snapshot of HKU Portal for Staff
2. Network services – ITS has installed a high-speed and sophisticated campus network based on 10-Gigabit Ethernet and Fast Ethernet technologies with over 52,000 network access points installed which links together all the computer servers, workstations and PCs in the main and remote campuses.
Wireless access to the campus network and Internet is provided by over 5,100 WiFi access points and is available in all centrally-administered classrooms, public areas in the main campus, department offices and halls of student residence. Apart from the University’s WiFi network “HKU”, students can also enjoy WiFi access off-campus at CSL and Y5ZONE WiFi hotspots in town, and at other local and overseas universities using “eduroam”.
HKU Main Campus and Centennial Campus
3. Learning Management System (LMS) Moodle – Moodle is widely used by education institutions around the world as an LMS for online interactive e-courses. All courses registered in the Student Information System (SIS) will have the corresponding e-courses pre-created in Moodle for teachers to build up their e-courses conveniently. The personalized Moodle courses of students/teachers are readily accessible via the My eLearning tab of HKU Portal. The HKU Moodle Resources and Support website can be found at http://moodle-support.hku.hk/. Training workshops to assist teachers to use the Moodle features are listed at http://moodle-support.hku.hk/training/ITS-all.
4. Lecture Capture System (LCS) Panopto– The central LCS is powered by the Panopto lecture capture system. It helps teachers capture lectures easily and is integrated with the Moodle System. The LCS supports our teachers and students to perform video recording and editing, and viewing through Moodle courses. The Panopto Unison module supports teachers to import and edit videos in other formats.
5. Research computing support – ITS provides central support in high performance computing (HPC) and high throughput computing (HTC) to facilitate computational and data-intensive research activities of the University.
6. Classrooms and Learning Commons – The Learning Environment Services (LES) team manages IT and audio-visual (AV) facilities in the centrally administered classrooms and learning commons. Chi Wah Learning Commons, The Oval (Knowles Building 1/F), The Curve (K.K. Leung Building 1/F and 2/F) and The Lounge (Main Building Room MB238) are the learning commons. Study rooms are equipped with modern IT and AV facilities to facilitate group and individual study.
|Chi Wah Learning Commons in the Centennial Campus|
|The Oval on 1/F of the Knowles Building|
|The Curve nearby lecture theatres on 1/F and 2/F of the K.K. Leung building|
7. Communal PCs (196 PCs and 11 Mac computers in Chi Wah Learning Commons, 36 PCs in room KB-110 in The Oval and 11 PCs in The Curve) are available. They are installed with commonly used software (Microsoft Office, Adobe suite, SPSS, etc.) for document processing, web page design, statistical analysis, etc. Users can also use the PCs in the Faculty-based PC laboratories.
|Communal PCs in Chi Wah Learning Commons|
To locate available communal PCs, please visit the website to view and search for unoccupied communal PCs in the learning commons and faculty-based PC laboratories.
8. Printing Service – A print-anywhere printing service called uPrint is supported by ITS for black & white and color printing. Copying is available at some designated printers. Users can submit print job from any communal PCs or their own PCs with uPrint printer driver installed, or from mobile devices with app installed. Printout can be collected at any uPrint printer.
9. Seminars and training courses – Regular seminars and training courses on the use of the central IT services are arranged throughout the year.