- What is Auto-updated Mailing List (AML)?
- Guidelines on usage
- Launch date
- How to apply?
Faculties and departments (hereafter departments) may experience headaches in maintaining various email addresses for communicating with their students and staff. Notwithstanding the intensive labour effort in maintaining these email lists to reflect staff/student movements, the lists are continually changing and it would be difficult to keep them up-to-date, especially for those departments having relatively high staff mobility.
To facilitate departments in having auto-updated mailing lists for internal communication with their staff/students, ITS has set up a new service called Auto-updated Mailing List (AML) to improve the related work efficiency by reducing the staff effort required for regular updating of the lists.
An AML is a mailing list that will deliver emails to the University mail boxes of all applicable members of the sender department. The list of email recipients covered by an AML is auto-updated daily in synchronism with the central student/staff records of the University. Five types of AML, each with a prescribed “listName”, as listed below are supported -
- PDF (note 1)
- RPG (note 2)
- UG (note 3)
(Notes: 1: PDF=Post-Doctoral Fellows; 2: RPG=Research Postgraduates; 3: The list of UG is at faculty level only.)
AML is a moderated list which means only authorized staff members can use the mailing lists. Authorized senders of a department can use the mailing list in the format of NOTICE-<deptAbbreviation>-<listName>@listserv.hku.hk to send notices to their staff/students through any email client.
NOTICE-MECH-PDF@listserv.hku.hk > all PDFs under Department of Mechanical Engineering will receive email sent to this mailing list
NOTICE-ENGG-UG@listserv.hku.hk > all UGs under the Faculty of Engineering will receive email sent to this mailing list (departments under the Faculty of Engineering can use this faculty level list through subscription under the Faculty)
- AML is supported solely for the purposes of the University, and works only for intra-departmental communication with the staff members and students of a department.
- Departments have to observe and comply with Unsolicited Electronic Messages Ordinance ("the UEMO") and the AML must not be used for sending emails bearing commercial/promotion purposes.
- Departments are accountable for the appropriate use of the AML.
- Delisting or adding any recipient(s) included in an AML is not possible.
- Departments are fully responsible for the proper conduct of their authorized sender(s) in the use of AML.
- Director of ITS reserves the right to disable any AML(s) upon reports of usage abuses, university regulation/rule violations, or law violations.
This service will be available for use by departments in March 2018. Departments will receive an email sent to Heads of Departments when this service is ready to use. A notice will also be posted via the eNotice System.
Departments can apply for using the AML through the online form “CF49-Auto-updated Mailing List” under our eForm System. This form will be put online when the service is ready to use.
For any questions on the use of AML, please feel free to contact our Service Desk at 3917 0123 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tel: 3917 6220