- Facilities in the Learning Commons
- Facilities in the new classrooms and lecture theatres
- Training sessions on the use of AV/IT equipment in Main Campus and Centennial Campus classrooms
- New Learning Environment Services (LES) team of ITS
ITS has assumed a new managerial role with respect to the University’s central learning environment, comprising centrally administered classrooms, lecture theatres and Learning Commons in both the Main Campus and Centennial Campus.
New classrooms, lecture theatres and Learning Commons in Centennial Campus will be put into services in September 2012. It is built upon the University’s commitment in technology and educational innovation in teaching and learning.
The Learning Commons is a campus hub equipped with modern learning facilities that encourages and facilitates individual and group study. Apart from being a comfortable learning environment, the following facilities are available there:
- Study rooms or group work rooms equipped with audio-visual (AV) facilities
- Quiet study areas
- Desktop all-in-one PCs in open area
- Printing and copying machines
- Wired and wifi network connectivity
- Multi-media centre (will be equipped in the future)
Moreover, in collaboration with other providers of services for students, a wide range of services will be provided to students in the Learning Commons.
In the new classrooms and lecture theatres, the following AV and IT facilities are available:
- Projector and Projection Screen
- Laptop computer
- Mimio whiteboard capture device
Mimio is a computer whiteboard capture device. It can capture and save a teacher’s handwritten patterns on a whiteboard as pages in a PDF file. It may also be used in conjunction with a video projector to turn an ordinary whiteboard into an interactive whiteboard. More information on the Mimio device is available at http://www.its.hku.hk/services/tl/les/Mimio.
Information on the use of the classroom equipment control panel in new classrooms and lecture theatres for controlling lighting and AV equipments can be found at http://www.its.hku.hk/services/tl/les/Classrm_CP.
Training sessions for new and existing teachers on the use of AV/IT equipment in the new classrooms and lecture theatres will be held in the first half of September as follows -
Training on the Use of AV/IT Equipment in Centennial Campus Classrooms (for staff only)
- September 3 to September 7 (Monday to Friday) and September 10 to September 14 (Monday to Friday)
- Six 45-minute sessions daily at 9:30am, 10:30am, 11:30am, 2:30pm, 3:30pm, 4:30pm
- Venue: Room CPD-LG.17, Central Podium Levels, Centennial Campus (route map to the venue)
Please refer to Training News in this issue of ITS News for more information of the course. All teachers are welcome to register to attend it.
For teachers and instructors who are new to HKU, they are also invited to attend one of the following training sessions on the use of the AV/IT equipment in the Main Campus classrooms and lecture theatres.
Training on the Use of AV/IT Equipment in Main Campus Classrooms (for staff only)
- September 11 (Tue) 2:00pm-3:00pm – venue: Meng Wah Complex Theatre 5
- September 13 (Wed) 2:00pm-3:00pm – venue: Meng Wah Complex Theatre 5
- September 18 (Thu) 1:00am-2:00pm – venue: Meng Wah Complex Theatre 6
- September 20 (Thu) 1:00pm-2:00pm – venue: Meng Wah Complex Theatre 6
Since July 1, 2012, a new Learning Environment Services team has been formed in ITS through consolidating colleagues from the former Classroom Services Unit of the Registry and ITS colleagues supporting the central PC Laboratories. The Team provides first-line support to the University’s learning environment. The following one-stop hotlines are set up for enquiry and problem reporting -
- Centennial Campus classrooms and lecture theatres – 3917 8888
- Main Campus classrooms and lecture theatres – 2241 5122
The relevant hotline is shown on the equipment control panel of each classroom/lecture theatre.
The above hotlines are attended to by staff of the LES team during the following periods –
- Monday to Friday 8:00am to 8:00pm
- Saturday 8:00am to 1:00pm
Outside the above periods, the hotlines will be forwarded to, and handled by, the Security Office of the Estates Office.
For further queries, please contact the undersigned or email@example.com.
Tel: 2859 2453