A campus license called MATLAB Campus-Wide License is available for staff and students to use MATLAB, Simulink and a related suite of toolboxes offering a high-level language for technical computing which combines computation, visualization, and programming in an easily usable environment.
The license is available for use by staff and students who are holding an active HKU Portal account. They can install the software on on-campus computing facilities, laboratories, classrooms and research centres, as well as staff/student-owned personal computers.
Individual licenses are for use by staff and students to download an individual standalone copy of the software for each of the machines on which they are the sole MATLAB user (includes university-owned and personal machines). They can download the software, get free training, contact support and discover additional resources via HKU’s MATLAB Portal.
- HKU’s MATLAB Portal
- Click “Sign in to Get Started”in the Get MATLAB and Simulink section.
- Login using HKU Portal UID and PIN.
- Create a MathWorks account using your @hku.hk email address (for staff) or @connect.hku.hk email address (for students).
- Click the “download”button and choose a supported platform to download and run the installer.
- Run the installer.
- In the installer, select “Log in with a MathWorks Account”and follow the online instructions.
- When prompted, select “Academic – Campus-Wide License”.
- Select the products you want to download and install.
- After downloading and installing your products, keep the “Activate MATLAB checkbox” selected and click “Next”.
- Follow the prompts to activate MATLAB.
Reactivate / Renew the license
If the installation has already expired, you will be prompted to activate when attempting to launch MATLAB. As long as the activation finishes successfully it will roll over to the new license file once the old one expires. You might continue to see the expiration warning in MATLAB until the old file expires.
Step: “Help” > “Licensing” > “Activate Software”. (Please refer to the MATLAB guide).
Concurrent License is available for use by departmental coordinators who help to manage on-campus computing facilities such as computer labs. Access to the software is limited to a network-only configuration using the FlexNet License Manager. All access must be limited to PCs using HKU IP addresses only (remote access can be connected via HKUVPN).
There are 2 options in using the Concurrent License:
- ITS License Server– Departments requiring the use of Concurrent License can connect via ITS’ license server. Requests can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating the department name, departmental coordinator contact information, location of on-campus computing facilities that require concurrent access to MATLAB and no. of PCs involved. ITS will contact the departmental coordinator for the setup arrangement.
- Departmental License Server– If there is a genuine need for departments to maintain their own license server, departmental coordinators are responsible for maintaining it and upgrading the license manager at each release. Requests can be sent to email@example.com indicating the department name, departmental coordinator contact information, location of on-campus computing facilities that require concurrent access to MATLAB, no. of PC involved, platform of the license required (Windows/Mac/Linux) and host ID of the license server and IP address range of the connected PCs. ITS will provide the license file and File Installation Key to the requesting department and guide the department through the setup and connection steps.
For individual licenses
Bookmark HKU’s MATLAB Portal as an ongoing resource where you can find the following resources:
- MATLAB Training– links to MATLAB Onramp (free 2-hour overview of MATLAB) and other course offerings.
- MATLAB Help – Provides links to installation support, product videos, code examples, answers, and consultation support from a MathWorks Engineer.
- Use MATLAB on the Cloud – Access to MATLAB Online (web based version of MATLAB), MATLAB Drive, MATLAB Mobile, and ThingSpeak.
- Resources for Educators– Instant access to free courseware, webinars, and other tools to integrate MATLAB and Simulink into curriculum.
For concurrent licenses
Training – If you are not familiar with MATLAB, please complete the 2 hour MATLAB Onramp tutorial (can also be found on HKU’s MATLAB Portal by clicking “Start learning now” in the Learn to Use MATLAB and Simulink section).
Ask and Answer – Check out MATLAB Answers to get the best answers to your questions about using MATLAB & Simulink.
Examples – Tap MATLAB Examples to find code and learn about software capabilities through real examples.
Help resources – To get support service related to installation and use, please go to HKU’s MATLAB Portal and click “Contact MathWorks Support” to get help.