Microsoft announced that Windows 8.1 was end of support on January 10, 2023, which means that operating systems running on Windows 8.1 will no longer receive new security updates, non-security hotfixes, free or paid assisted support options, or online technical content updates from Microsoft. Please visit following Microsoft’s webpage for more details:
Since hackers may take advantage to attack us by exploiting vulnerabilities which operating system is running without support, you are advised to upgrade Windows 8.1 as soon as possible. Departments can consider using Virtual PCs (VPCs) as an alternative, which provides us with the following benefits:
- Do not need to place a purchase order to vendors.
- Do not need to configure or install anything before you can use the VPCs.
- Readily use Windows 10 and a common set of software with a 100GB personal drive through a small VPC box upon delivery.
- Centrally provisioned facility that requires no additional cost from departments.
- No pain in managing OS patch, software upgrade, or data backup.
- Simply apply using our online form CF85.
If you would like to understand more on VPCs, please visit following ITS webpage, or come to talk to us (firstname.lastname@example.org / 3917 0123).
If departments are interested in purchasing new PCs, please refer to the tender for Desktop & Laptop Personal Computers:
https://intraweb.hku.hk/reserved_2/itstenders/PCProducts/ (Required HKU Portal login)
In order to protect the campus network and its network neighbors, all Windows 8.1 machines shall be disconnected from the campus network. We may suspend the network access for any computer running Windows 8.1 without further notice.
In case you have any questions on the above, please feel to contact us at email@example.com or 3917 0123.
Thank you very much.
Data and Security Team
Information Technology Services
The University of Hong Kong