Procedure to access HKU Email via MS Outlook Using IMAP (for Roaming Users)
- Create an account in Outlook. Click Files => .
- Select Manual setup or additional server types. Click Next.
- Select POP or IMAP. Click Next.
- Enter your name and email address when prompted. From the Options listed below, choose “IMAP” to view and manage the mail on the server.
For incoming mail server:
Enter hkucc1.hku.hk for your HKUCC1 (Exchange for Staff) mail account
For outgoing mail server, enter smtproam.hku.hk
NOTE: If you select POP3 mode, all your emails will be downloaded from the email server to your local folders in Outlook and you can no longer access your emails via HKU Portal/WebMail. It will be very difficult to move your emails back to the email server.
The option on Require login using Secure Password Authentication (SPA) must be unchecked.Click More Settings button to continue.
- In the Internet E-Mail Settings window, go to Outgoing Server tab.Check My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication and select Use same settings as my incoming mail server option as shown in the following screen:
- Go to the Advanced tab, under Outgoing server (SMPT) > Use the following type of encrypted connection > select TLS or Auto. Under Outgoing server (SMTP), change it from 25 to 587. Click OK.
- When you send the first message using outgoing email server smtproam.hku.hk, the following warning will be prompted.
Click View Certificate to view certificate issued by Ironport Appliance Demo Certificate.Click Yes to accept the certificate.
- Enter your HKU Portal UID and PIN. Click OK.