- Download Microsoft Authenticator App (Android/iOS)
- The first time you use your UID and Portal PIN to try to access a University service like HKU Portal, you will reach a screen saying ‘More information required. Your organization needs more information to keep your account secure’. We recommend you do this on your PC or tablet using a browser.
- Log into your HKU account using your username and Portal PIN. Your username should include @firstname.lastname@example.org, for example, UID@hku.hk or UID@connect.hku.hk.
- Once signed in, you will see a message that says ‘start by getting the app’. We recommend you use the Microsoft Authenticator app.
- Leave this window open while you download the app to your smartphone.
- On your smartphone, download and install the ‘Microsoft Authenticator’ app from Google Play or the App Store depending on your device.
- If prompted allow notifications in the app.
- Once you have downloaded the app on your phone, click ‘next’ on your computer.
- If you do not have a smartphone, please click ‘I want to set up a different method” at the bottom of the message, and follow the instructions below to set up MFA without a smartphone.
- In the app, select ‘add an account’ and choose the option ‘work or school’.
- Select the required app permissions such as ‘use camera’, which you will need as part of the set-up process.
- You can change the camera app permission when set up is complete.
- Once you have downloaded the app, click ‘next’ on your computer.
- In your browser, a QR code will be generated which you need to scan using the camera on your phone.
- If you can’t scan the image, you can manually enter the QR code and URL. If the QR code times out, simply repeat.
- Click next on your computer.
- Next, you need to try out the app. In the app on your phone, type the number shown on your computer screen or other device and click ‘yes’ to confirm sign in.
(Application side like HKU Portal/Webmail)
(Type the shown number in the application side to Microsoft Authenticator, and click ‘Yes’.)
(You will be notified that the login has been approved.)
(and also you will be told that the Microsoft Authenticator has been registered successfully in the first login of the application.)
|Android (Google Play)||iOS (App Store)|
Setup Alternative Methods for MFA
- Open a browser, go and login to https://mysignins.microsoft.com/security-info with your <UID>@hku.hk (Staff) / <UID>@connect.hku.hk and Portal PIN
- Click Add sign-in method.
- Choose the methods.
- Choose Phone and click Add
- Select the correct country code and enter your mobile number, then choose Text me a code, click Next.
- There will be a SMS sends to the mobile number you provided in step 5.
- Enter the code received by SMS to the prompted windows, then click Next
- The setup has been completed if the following windows pop-up. Click Done.
- You will see the new method has been added to the security info of your account.