Virtual PC (VPC) is an initiative of ITS to reduce the effort of PC management in departments for improved work efficiency. Apart from supporting the general PC needs in departments, departments can also raise requests to provide VPCs for use by their Research Postgraduate (RPG) students. No charge to departments will be involved.
Access to a user’s VPC, which is configured with Windows 10, a common set of software and 100GB personal drive, is supported through a small VPC box that can be provided to each user.
Colleagues who are interested in knowing more about the VPCs are welcome to visit the Learning Environment Services offices at the Chi Wah Learning Commons (CPD-1.64) or the Curve (KKL-204) to try out the demonstration units.
- Reduce manpower in PC support by using common set of software and centralized update
- Extend the PC replacement cycle
- Improve security protection with continual Windows and security patch updates
- Single sign-on to central IT services such as email and centrally managed file storage e.g. SharePoint and Departmental Data Asset Storage (DDAS)
- Self-service data recovery via daily snapshots (up to 30 days)
- Quick deployment, plug-and-play
- Go green requiring little electricity and desktop space
Provision and Features
- One VPC box per user with keyboard and mouse (reuse existing monitor)
- Disk storage: 100GB personal drive on VPC per user and 5TB OneDrive for Business on Microsoft O365
- Departmental storage connecting to central file server f1.hku.hk (100GB/department) and Departmental Data Asset Storage (200GB/department) (these departmental storages are not applicable to RPG students using VPC)
- Option to enable remote access from outside campus network
Pages Related To This Services
Staff and departments