WordPress Content Management System (CMS) is built using OpenShift technology hosting on in-house servers supported by ITS. It is preinstalled with WordPress and some commonly used plugins. Departments can also install other plugins and themes on the CMS whatever they consider appropriate.
The current version on WordPress CMS for HKU is WordPress 6.0.3 with PHP 7.4, and MariaDB 10.2. For the preinstalled themes and plugins, please click here. Every website is provisioned with 10GB disk space.
- Manpower savings in setting up and maintaining the WordPress CMS and its plugins
- Improved security as the version of WordPress is kept up-to-date with security patches and fixed applied
- Supporting webpages with access control for use by HKU staff and students and authentication through Single Sign-On using HKU Portal UID/PIN is enabled
- Theme templates and plugins are available for use and customization by departments
- Little restriction in customization and departments with the necessary programming knowledge can tailor make a feature-rich and unique website on their own
- Websites are hosting on ITS servers
Each department is provisioned with a number of WordPress CMS through central cost according to the following calculation:
No. of WordPress CMS website provision = (No. of professoriate staff in a department/3 + No. of professoriate staff in a department/20) or 10, whichever is larger.
*Additional websites can be requested at the cost of HK$600/website on a yearly basis.