Add a Forum activity
- Go to the course which you want to edit and click “Turn editing on” to enable the editing mode if you have not done so.
- Select “Add an activity or resource” where you want to add the forum activity.
- Select the activity type as “Forum”.
Fill in the information of the forum activity.
- Fill in the general information of the forum activity.
There are 5 types of Forum available for selection.
Item Description A single simple discussion A single discussion topic which everyone can reply to. Each person posts one discussion Each student can post exactly one new discussion topic, which everyone can then reply to. Q and A forum Students must first post their perspectives before viewing other students’ posts. Standard forum displayed in a blog-like format An open forum where anyone can start a new discussion at any time, and in which discussion topics are displayed on one page with “Discuss this topic” links. Standard forum for general use An open forum where anyone can start a new discussion at any time.
Under Subscription Mode, you can set how you want students to receive emails of posts to forums:
Item Description Optional subscription Participants can choose whether to be subscribed. Forced subscription Everyone is subscribed and cannot unsubscribe. Auto subscription Everyone is subscribed initially, but can choose to unsubscribe at any time. Subscription disabled Subscriptions are not allowed.
Note: You can click the question mark behind each fields to view the usage of this field.
2. Fill in the other information of the forum activity. (Optional)
Post threshold for blocking
With this setting, Students can be blocked from posting more than a given number of posts in a given time period. Set the value to “Don`t block” to disable this setting.
Forums may also be used as graded assignments. In order to add grades to posts, in the Ratings section choose an Aggregate Type and a Grade Scale. Once a student makes a post to the forum, a drop down menu will appear on the post making it easy to assign a grade when you read it.
You can also restrict student access to the assignment by time or grade condition.
3. After you complete filling all those information, you can click the “Save and return to course” / “Save and display” to submit your forum.