Turnitin is a plagiarism checking tool. Teachers can create a Turnitin assignment on Moodle to collect students’ submissions.
Create a Turnitin assignment on Moodle
1. Go to the course which you want to edit and click “Turn editing on” to enable the editing mode if you have not done so.
2. Go to the topic where you want to create the assignment. Click “Add an activity…” and select “Turnitin Assignment 2“.
3. Fill in the General information about the Turnitin assignment including Assignment Name, Summary, submission type and Number of Parts, etc.
4. Fill in other information about the assignment includes the following.
The grade for the assignment is specified here. Choosing a number will become the maximum grade for this assignment. If you will not be giving a grade for the assignment, choose “None” under “Grade type”.
Assignment start date/ due date/ post date
1. Start date: the earliest time that a student can submit the paper to the Turnitin assignment.
2. Due date: the due date of the Turnitin assignment.
3. Post date: the date when the grade/comments will be released to students.
Allow Submissions after the Due Date
If set it to “Yes“, it means students are allowed to submit work after the due date is passed. Late submission will be marked as being late and the submission date and time will be recorded in red colour.
Report Generation Speed
1. Generate reports immediately (resubmissions are not allowed) – Students cannot resubmit the papers, the report will be generated immediately after students have submitted their papers.
2. Generate reports immediately (resubmissions are allowed until due date) – The report is generated immediately. Students are allowed to resubmit the papers before the due date. Teachers can view the latest submission and resubmissions are not allowed after the due date.
Time is needed for the system to generate the originality report. For the second or later submission, it needs 24- hour to generate the report for the student.
3. Generate reports on due date (resubmissions are allowed until due date) – The submissions are generated on the due date. Resubmissions are allowed before the due date.
GradeMark Options- Attach a rubric to this assignment
Teacher can attach a rubric to the assignment.
(Note: students will be able to view attached rubrics and their content prior to submitting.)
5. After you complete filling all those information, you can click “Save and display” to save the settings.
Collect students’ submissions
1. Click on the Turnitin assignment link in the Moodle course.
2. You can collect students’ submissions under “Submission Inbox” tab.
3. If you want to download the submission from a student, please click “Download” button next to the student’s submission.
4. If you want to download all submissions in this assignment, check the boxes next to students’ submissions and click “Download” to download the zip file.
Teacher can add PeerMark assignment to a Turnitin assignment for peer assessment.
1. To add a PeerMark assignment to a Turnitin assignment, click “PeerMark” button in assignment page.
2. Click “+” button to create a PeerMark assignment.
3. Add instructions, dates in the PeerMark assignment settings page, and click “Save & Continue”.
4. You will be leaded to PeerMark Questions tab. Click “Add Question” button to add PeerMark questions.
5. You can assign students to review another student’s paper under “Distribution” tab.
6. To remove the student from PeerMark assignment, click “–“ icon next to the student’s name. To force a student to review another student’s paper, click “+“ icon next to the student’s name and select a student from the list.