Before using “Group Choice” function, teacher should create groups on the Moodle course first.
- Go to the course homepage. Click “Users” in the left hand side in the settings block.
- Click “Groups“.
- Click “Create group” button.
- Enter the group name, the group name will be shown as the option on “Group Choice” function.
Create a ‘Group Choice’ activity in your Moodle course
- Go to the course homepage and click to enable the “Turn editing on” .
- Go to the topic where you want to create the ‘Group Choice‘ activity. Click “Add an activity or resource” and select “Group Choice“.
Fill in the information of the ‘Group Choice’ activity
- Fill in the “Group choice name” and “Description“.
- Under Miscellaneous settings,
Item Explanation Allow enrollment to multiple groups If the box checked, students can select multiple groups in this group choice activity. Publish results/ Privacy of results Teacher can select if the choice result can be shown to students. Allow choice to be updated Teacher can select if students can update their choice. Show column for unanswered Teacher can select if “Unanswered” column will be shown on the result page (so that teacher will know which students did not select any groups in this activity) Limit the number of responses
allowed/ General limitation
Teacher can limit the number of students that can select each choice option. If teacher enabled this function, teacher can enter a number under General limitation and click Apply to all groups to limit the size of the groups.
- Under Groups section, select the groups which you want to let students to choose under Available Groups, and click “Add Groups“.
- If you want to limit the group size, select the group name under Selected Groups, and a box will be pop up on the right hand size. You can enter any number in this box to limit the group size.
(For the example below, I entered “10” in the box so that only 10 students can select this group)
- Under Restrict answering to this time period, if you enabled this function, students can only make their choice between this period of time.
- Click “Save and return to course” at the end of the page to save the settings.