Multi-factor authentication (MFA) is a security method that requires users to provide two or more types of proof to confirm their identity when accessing the M365 account. By requiring multiple factors of authentication, MFA adds an extra layer of security and makes it more difficult for unauthorized individuals to gain access to sensitive information or accounts.
- Mandatory for all staff
- MFA will be required for staff members accessing HKU Portal from outside of the campus.
- MFA will be required for Staff members accessing Personnel File under HCMS
- Remote access to the Virtual PC (VPC) support the authentication with 2FA and MFA in parallel
Mandatory for all departmental accounts
- HKUVPN support the authentication with MFA ONLY
- Fortinet 2FA will be retired
To ensure enhanced account protection and prevent unauthorized access, we strongly recommend enabling MFA as soon as possible
Departmental account holders (@hku.hk)
Departmental account holders (@connect.hku.hk)
Option(s) to receive the token code
It is recommended that you have alternative methods to confirm your identity with MFA in case your primary way of access is unavailable. For instance, you can use a different phone number or a code produced by an authenticator app.
(VPN and VPC only can support the Authenticator App to receive token code.)
Reset is needed when the Mobile device for receiving the token is changed or lost. Please contact the ITS Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org.