SFTP (Secure File Transfer Protocol) with FileZilla for Windows
The Secure File Transfer Protocol is a network protocol that provides secure file access, file transfer and file management functionality
A. Set up a secure file transfer connection
- Start FileZilla (download it free from http://filezilla-project.org/download.php (Intel version)).
- Click File -> Site Manager.
- In Site Manager Windows, click New Site button.
- Type in the remote system you intend to connect to in the Host field.Depending on the remote system you intend to connect, the remote host server names are as follows:
For example, if your personal website is http://web.hku.hk/~yourUID, enter web.hku.hk in the Host field.If your department website is http://www.hku.hk/yourUID, enter www.hku.hk in the Host field.
Remote Server Purpose web.hku.hk personal websites hpc2015-file.hku.hk high performance computing cluster htclogin.hku.hk high throughput computing service
- In Port field, type 22.
- In the Server-Type drop-down menu, select SFTP – SSH File Transfer Protocol.
- For Logon Type field, select Normal.
- Type your account name (HKU Portal UID) in the User field (you must have an account on the web host server).
- Type your account password (HKU Portal PIN) in the Password field.
- In Site Manager windows, click the Connect button.
- You will see a pop-up window below. This is a feature of the SSH protocol. It is designed to protect you against a network attack known as “spoofing” which will secretly redirect your connection to a different computer in order to steal your password. Click OK to continue.
- In the FileZilla window, the local system (your PC) appears in the left window and the remote system appears in the right window.
- To upload a file, drag the file from the the left window to the right window.
- To download a file, drag the file from the right window to the left window.
B. Exit FileZilla
- To end your session, click the menu File on the top menu > Exit.